17 September 2007

Overview...and then some

Ok....I have enough time for a quick update....which means, short update -- lucky you.
I'm working 25 hours at the school, which entails teaching fun songs and planning activities allowing the students to practice their English...and have some fun. This is great for me. First, they love me b/c I'm white (or half love me b/c I'm half white ;), but more importantly, I bring the fun factor through the roof compared to their other classes. Next week, I'll be teaching poetry to Primary 4 (about 9-10 year olds) including Blake, Shakespeare, Stevenson, and a few more.
It's insanely incredible how disciplined these children are. These 7-8 year olds stay in the same classroom all day (with breaks, of course), and the teachers rotate.....the classes are like boxes with desks and a blackboard -- nothing entertaning or inspiring. They listen to lectures, take notes, and PAY ATTENTION all day.
I've now completed two Arabic lessons, each 2 1/2 hours long. I can write and read Arabic (at an elementary level, of course)...and my vocabulary is practically non-existent. I can sing the first verse of a song. I can count to ten. I even sat in the kindergarten's Arabic lesson at school today. Fantastic.
The apartment....or back room situation is fine. Lianne and I are so busy we're usually eating or sleeping when at home OR chilling on our balcony . Otherwise, you can find me at one of the many produce vendors in the neighborhood, at the cafe using their free internet, working at school, at my Arabic lessons, at a meeting, or, in tomorrow's case, HORSEBACK riding with some of my new Egyptian friends!!!
A FEW HIGHLIGHTS:
I fell out of my bus (it's just a van) face forward while it was slightly moving (they don't really stop...more like a California roll). That was great. Lianne and I caught a taxi today (a fairly frequent activity)....but a tire popped, so he ran out of the car, started jacking it up with us in it...we were obviously too heavy, it wouldn't work. He finally fixed it. He couldn't find our destination. He picked up some other guy (also not unusual) who tried helping us find our destination. This other guy got out of the car and started running in front of us in an effort to find our location.
So, for two blocks we followed a man running through the streets while the frustrated driver muttered what I imagine to be absolutely kind comments under his breath while clapping his hands in an effort to cheer himself up........
MOST IMPORANTLY,
the mosquito situation has been minimalized:






MUAHAHAHHAHA!I'm completely swamped and horribly busy every single day. I'm exhausted, so very !exhausted. But even more excited for all that I'm learning and experiencing.
Well, this update's not so short afterall.....just be glad I don't have more time - stories are endless, experiences are priceless, and time is...running out - salam

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Sweetie,

How did you fall off a bus? Was that literally fall off?

Love, mom

About Me

My photo
Hawaii, United States
trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.
O, dreadful is the check — intense the agonyWhen the ear begins to hear and the eye begins to see;When the pulse begins to throb, the brain to think again,The soul to feel the flesh and the flesh to feel the chain. - Emily Bronte, "The Prisoner