26 September 2007

as you can see,

i have visited the pyramids and petted the sphinx.....ok, maybe i didn't get that close, but if there wasn't a huge hole surrounding him guarded by armed soldiers/police people, i definitely would've........
i have floated on the nile and dipped my fingers in its cool current.....
teaching continues to go quite well. i can now read and write in arabic; although, my vocabulary is quite limited and my pronunciation quite......foreign. with diligence and patience, i think i will be quite proficient by the end of my time here.
i'm making friends from various communities, which provides me with exposure to all types of egyptian life.
so far, i haven't experienced very much, if any cultural shock. honestly, the community aspect here reminds me of hawaii. people are friendly, welcoming, and helpful. the fruits and vegetables are similar. preparation of food is, obviously,different, but not as nearly exotic as i had expected/hoped. since i'm a connoisseur and explorer of food, i have quite a cultured palate.
i've never really been one to get home-sick. i tend to enjoy myself wherever i'm at...every little experience is an adventure for me, and since one year is not that long, i want to make the most of my time here. i have learned a lot so far and have much more to learn.......
SHOKRAN (shoh-kran -- roll the r) "Thank you" to all of you who have been sending me your love! i love getting emails full of encouragement.......don't stop (hint hint ;)
class is cancelled today...i think i'm going to read....on second thought, i think i'll watch a movie. after eating two-three mangos...they're going out of season and are SOOO delicious. the slight sickness that follows overindulgence is well worth the minutes it takes me to devour these juicy, sweet fruits from heaven.

1 comment:

My name is April. said...

Do you have a mailing address? Email me your address if you want to get letters!!! Love to you, I'm so proud of you!

About Me

My photo
Hawaii, United States
trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.
O, dreadful is the check — intense the agonyWhen the ear begins to hear and the eye begins to see;When the pulse begins to throb, the brain to think again,The soul to feel the flesh and the flesh to feel the chain. - Emily Bronte, "The Prisoner