12 September 2007

last night....

a mosquito kissed me on the lip…he left a hickey. I don’t like. In fact, I don’t like the multiple hickeys he left on my ankles and wrists. Try it again, I keel you…unless I’m sleeping, then I’m yours for the eating.

but i do love the family i'm staying with -- generosity is an understatement. their house is incredible! i feel like i'm in a castle: an intricately designed iron railing lines the spiraling staircase; immense windows allow inside to flirt with outside; fabulous furniture livens marble and wood floors transforming empty banquet hall sized rooms into comfortable, even homey, communal spaces; and the kitchen.....i need to take some pictures; oh, i'll have to tell you about the water heater....another time.


Sarah, also 21, is studying to be a translator and speaks Arabic, French, and English. We chit chatted over some grapes andd dates for a few hours discussing life, politics, school, etc., etc. She told me that I have a talent for learning languages and reassured me that i will learn Arabic quickly. i shyly muttered my thanks in Arabic (one of a few words/phrases i now know) accompanied with a slightly embarassed chuckle, but she stopped me by saying, "I’m completely serious."

Well, Sarah, I hope to prove you right. But even if you’re wrong, and I hope you’re not, I’m EXTREMELY excited and inspired to learn Arabic along with your rich culture that even if i lack talent, I will work extra, extra hard to do so. You’ll see.

then there's the lamp shade next to my bed. last night, i hit my head on this lampshade, which would've been fine, even slightly humorous.......except this lampshade is made out of marble. i don't like.

1 comment:

Philosophos Philophisarus said...

If it leaves a scar, it will definitely leave a lasting memory!

About Me

My photo
Hawaii, United States
trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.
O, dreadful is the check — intense the agonyWhen the ear begins to hear and the eye begins to see;When the pulse begins to throb, the brain to think again,The soul to feel the flesh and the flesh to feel the chain. - Emily Bronte, "The Prisoner