23 November 2007

Vignettes

Children, chatter, chants:

The door opens slowly. First, peering through the opening door, I then take a step in. Eyes turn toward me. One voice begins: "MISS GIGI!"

The others join in. "MISS GIGI!" The shouts synchronize to a beating chant:

"Miss-Gi-Gi! Miss-Gi-Gi! MISS-GI-GI! MISS-GI-GI!"

"Good moooorning!"

"GOOOOOD MOOOORNING, MISS GIGI!"

"How are you today?"

"I AAAM FINE, THAAANK YOU!"

And so, my morning begins with the Kindergarten 2 class.

Scuffed Shoes

The bell rings, FINALLY! After a long day at school, there's nothing like riding in a bus full of chattering children and talkative teachers through the crazy Cairo streets. But where's our bus?

No bus....you know what that means:

"FOOTBALL!" Of course.

"Miss Gigi!!! Play football!"

Good thing I wore my cute, expensive travel shoes offering the most comfort possible. Good thing they're only going to get completely scuffed and scratched. Good thing I obviously have a choice in the matter.....football it is.

Hands raised in victory as I score the first goal. Um, why are my hands the only one's raised? I turn around just in time to see my answers walking toward us. The principal and a teacher are coming. It's no secret, their wrath will soon be released upon these unsuspecting children.

"Hahaha, suckahs!" is my first thought. These kids are in for it and just as the teachers arrive, I give the "I-can't-believe-you're-playing-football-when-you-should-be-waiting-for-the-bus-you-naughty-children" look. Being a teacher myself, they would NEVER say anything to me.

But secretly, I know they don't always know what to make of me -- a FEMALE teacher who enjoys playing with the children......or a child myself? It's a tough call, I know. It's been a predicament my whole life.

But at the end of the day, it's true......I'm just a girl who doesn't mind scuffed shoes.

Just so you know, the teachers are by know means evil as "their wrath will soon be released upon these unsuspecting children" may make them seem.....seriously.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Hawaii, United States
trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.
O, dreadful is the check — intense the agonyWhen the ear begins to hear and the eye begins to see;When the pulse begins to throb, the brain to think again,The soul to feel the flesh and the flesh to feel the chain. - Emily Bronte, "The Prisoner