16 November 2007

So, you want to marry me?

"Will you marry me?" His face turns red as the guy in front of us glances over his shoulder in shock.

Wait a minute! How did I get into this situation, you may be wondering? Well, it's quite simple really. Let's rewind.

Here we are, about fifteen of us on a bus. I just happen to sit next to one of two Romanian speakers on the bus. Having an knack for learning random phrases in other languages, I begin to show off what few phrases I've stored in my Romanian arsenal to my new Moldovan friend. But wait, I can't quite recall how to ask, "Will you marry me?" Why I ever knew this question in Romanian is besides the point. For the life of me, I cannot remember how to say it. I must know! So, of course, being the curious person I am and wanting to further supply my random Romanian phrase arsenal, I ask this very important question. Being the helpful Moldovan that he is, my friend clearly says, "Will you marry me" in Romanian.

With a sense of relief and wonderment as to how I could have ever forgot this phrase, I begin to repeat after him only to be interrupted as the only other Romanian speaker on the bus sitting a few seats in front of us glances over his shoulder with the i-can't-believe-what-i'm-hearing-i'm-about-to-freak-out look plastered on his face. Priceless!

Let the explaining begin.........

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Hawaii, United States
trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.
O, dreadful is the check — intense the agonyWhen the ear begins to hear and the eye begins to see;When the pulse begins to throb, the brain to think again,The soul to feel the flesh and the flesh to feel the chain. - Emily Bronte, "The Prisoner