12 November 2007

so....I'm not Egyptian?

You don't say! Pardon my slight sarcasm. So here we are, Lianne and I, that is, minding our own business (like we always do, right?) while we shop for much needed supplies. As teachers, we must keep an adequate arsenal of red pens, white out, duct tape, etc....you know, the basics. Anyway, as we are paying for our supplies, Lianne makes a comment in Arabic and without a moment's hesitation, the cashier let's us know that her comment is Egyptian and ONLY for Egyptians to say...........we waited for him to crack a smile, or say "welcome to Egypt" or something.....but no. not even a glance from him. just a cold, pricey check to pay.

wow, just wow.

quick update:

Arabic lessons -- fantastic
teaching -- great
traveling -- greater
having my own kitchen -- priceless......seriously.

I'm going to go make some pancakes.......

1 comment:

My name is April. said...

Now you have me wondering what the comment was? I mean, did she insult his dirty socks? In that case, I don't blame him for standing up for himself! She better not have been mocking his camel! I can only hope that you guys are treating people with respect! :-)

About Me

My photo
Hawaii, United States
trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.
O, dreadful is the check — intense the agonyWhen the ear begins to hear and the eye begins to see;When the pulse begins to throb, the brain to think again,The soul to feel the flesh and the flesh to feel the chain. - Emily Bronte, "The Prisoner