05 December 2007

muddy buddies, steak filets, and Grandpa Clause




Where do I begin? With my problem-solving skills...or lack thereof...for over-dramatic 2nd graders who argue only in Arabic? With the presents wrapped in make-shift wrapping paper under our little Christmas tree decorated with red, heart-shaped lights and simple sparkling ornaments that were given to us? With the "White Christmas" Party that Lianne and I are hosting. With the miso soup I enjoyed last night thanks to the box full of happiness sent from those two wonderful people I get to call my parents (and thanks Grandma and Grandpa for the beef jerky -- you know me well :) Maybe I'll start with the muddy buddies I just made in preparation for our party. Or the rice krispies I still need to make. Or the large snowman I'm planning to make for that huge blank spot on our wall. Or the Christmas tablecloth I bought as a "splurge" item that doesn't even fit our table.








As you can see, there are many places I can start. I suppose I'll start here: I LOVE peanut butter and oreos! Unfortunetly, just about EVERY bite full of American sweetness cost about, oh, maybe $1/bite at LEAST. Lianne and I hoped to make a gingerbread house; however, this miniture gingerbread house would cost us about L.E. 100 = $20! To give you an idea, I can buy a high-end, juicy, delicous steak filet for about L.E. 10...you got it, 10 steak filets for the cost of ONE gingerbread house.






Hmm....tempting:



But my decision wasn't difficult...at all:


Oh my goodness, right now, I would really enjoy a candycane slowly dissolving in sweet hot chocolate in an oversize mug cuddled on the couch in front of the fake fireplace my Mom assembles every year so we can hang our over-stuffed stockings resulting from an over-generous Mom. Interestingly, as the one in charge of putting gifts in the stockings (including her own), my Mom's stocking seems to be getting fatter each year. Funny how that works :)


This morning, I was thinking about the senses of Christmas. For me, Christmas SMELLS like mint hot chocalate and Christmas pine dancing together in my nose (not the nicest image, I know). Christmas LOOKS like snowy, Seattle streets lined with lights and single people walking their dogs mixed with decorated, tropical coconut trees, that assembled fireplace, and those little people we take out of the closet each winter and house them in their little village for the most exciting days of their year -- outside of their boxes, those poor people. Christmas TASTES like a scrumptous candle-light dinner accompanied with too many sugar cookies and tight jeans. Christmas SOUNDS like Christmas records crackling on my turntable. Christmas FEELS like home.


This year, Christmas will feel different. Not bad. Not lonely. Not gift-less (thankfully). Different. Quite. Lianne and I have come up with some ideas for our Christmas celebration. Together, will will smell, look, tastes, hear, and feel a new Christmas experience. Together, we will remember why we're celebrating. Yes, I will miss all the little cousins running around like head-less chickens full of blissful glee in anticipation for everything they've been wishing for. I will miss that pillow-stuffed Grandpa Clause ringing his fishing bell as all the great grandchildren (and I) sing Jingle Bells and as the youngest babies cry histerically because they don't recognize this long-bearded, square, pillow tummied Grandpa Clause. But I look forward to this experience. I look forward to the comfort of home and family next year. Until then, may you enjoy the holidays with a lot of family..........and food!




A stoll down memory lane:



2 comments:

ejikeda said...

You my darling daughter are an amazing writer. Your gift for making me (and I know others) see, taste, hear, and feel what you are seeing, tasting, hearing, and feeling. What a wonderful gift you have. :)

We are sending your box tomorrow, (Thursday) and will throw in a jar of Peanut Butter, candy canes, hot chocolate packets, etc. Merry Christmas - since a jar of p-butter costs so much, you can enjoy it as your Christmas gift :)

I look forward to reading your stories so much, they help me to stay connected with your life.

I love you sweetie pie, and look forward to seeing you in February for the wedding.

Your loving mom

Just a Jabbott or two said...

thanks mom.....i'm glad you feel connected. that's important...knowing me, i'm too good at doing everything on my own...it's nice to be connected in a pseudo "day-to-day" way. something to look forward to next year :) just don't forget about my lack of sleep attitude. my unrelenting stubburness. my "yeah, yeah, i know" approach. and my favorite: "can everyone just chill and stop freaking out." "janean, WE'RE NOT FREAKING OUT!" "um...you are now" oh, there's so much for you to look forward to!

and since i haven't lived at home for so long, i assume you're going to be more than excited to wash and fold my laundry, right? ;) ok, i'm done....i promise...for now. i love you

About Me

My photo
Hawaii, United States
trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.
O, dreadful is the check — intense the agonyWhen the ear begins to hear and the eye begins to see;When the pulse begins to throb, the brain to think again,The soul to feel the flesh and the flesh to feel the chain. - Emily Bronte, "The Prisoner