28 October 2007

two months......

so far, this has been my longest "overseas relationhship." almost two months. it's about this time that i'm emerging from the first honeymoon stage (i'm sure there will be more to come). it's easy to be flexible and "roll with the punches" while everything is exciting and new. don't get me wrong, even after a year, i know excitement will be lurking behind some pyramid or under some camel....but after a year, the bruises left by some of those punches may be a bit more painful without the numbing effects of the honeymoon stage.


however, here are a few realizations:


  1. after this year, i will have spent five years away from home (well, i spent one semester at home);
  2. two months is not that long at all, but being two months into an eleven month program leaves nine months (i've always loved math, can you tell :);
  3. a year is also not that long and will fly by, i'm sure....but there are moments when a year seems too long -- too long to be away from the ones you love, the ones you want to love, the things you love, the places you love, and yes, the FOOD you love! :) one year leads to another year...and another....soon it's five years.....ten years.....how much longer?
  4. life is about balancing dreams -- grand, life-long dreams with more immediate dreams. balancing the dreams/goals and not focusing too much on either one is crucial. it's like snorkling, if you have your head under the water all the time, you'll eventually end up too far out to sea, but if you have your head out of the water all the time, you may not get lost, but you'll miss out on what's right beneath your feet.

To my dear friends and family who take the time to check in, please,please, please pray for the following:

  • patience and perseverance (lots of it)
  • joy and enthusiasm
  • wisdom and more patience
  • humility and courage
  • and......i left my cell phone in the back of a taxi...it's not retriveable :( a lost quite a few contacts that i'm afraid i may not be able to get back.
  • aaaaannndd...it's my birthday tomorrow. please where a tutu in honor my my two-two birthday (22....wwwhhheeeeewwwww!)

I have been learning and growing a lot (just ask my Mom, she'd be glad to share a few stories :), and I know your prayers have helped me. His guidance and faithfulness in some stressful situations have left me humbled and desiring to know Him more. There's a point where it's absolutely OBVIOUS that I cannot handle (or will not handle) a situation adequately....instead of "I told you so," I constantly hear, "Be still, wait patiently for me......" (Psalm 37). In those moments, my waiting has not proved to be in vain.

I'd be glad to share stories if you're interested. But for now, my Mom is the keeper of a few recent stories..........she likes to talk about me (and if she talks about me half as much as she'd like to talk TO me, then prepare yourself for a novel of a time :)

Thank you so much for your faithfulness to Him that has so abundantly blessed me!!! Rest assured that I am doing my best for His glory...your generosity will extend as far as He'll use me.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Hawaii, United States
trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.
O, dreadful is the check — intense the agonyWhen the ear begins to hear and the eye begins to see;When the pulse begins to throb, the brain to think again,The soul to feel the flesh and the flesh to feel the chain. - Emily Bronte, "The Prisoner