01 October 2007

Dear Grandpa and Grandma,

About eight or nine years ago, I persuaded Chris to switch rooms with me. With white walls and wide windows, Chris had no problems moving into my room. Being the considerate brother that he is, he made sure that I knew he was getting the better end of the deal. Insisting that this dark-walled, smaller room would be great preparation for college, I moved downstairs.

Little did I know how this switch would change my life. As you know, I practically moved into the garden. I always knew when you, Grandpa, were picking tangerines, transplanting orchids, rearranging the gardens, or slicing slugs. But most importantly, I was always first to know that when it was dinnertime because you, Grandma, always needed to give Grandpa extra time to get ready for dinner. So, you would find Grandpa in the garden and let him know it was dinner. With my young ears, I would hear you the first time, but with ears far more experienced than mine, you would need to repeat yourself once, maybe twice before you, Grandpa, knew it was dinner; and thus, making me the first to know it was dinnertime!

Who knew that this switch would change my life?

A few years later, I moved to Seattle into what I like to call a hole (also known as a dorm room!), and all that preparation paid off. The excitement of being single in Seattle will never outweigh the greatest lesson I learned during my first few months at college. A mentor encouraged me to start listening to people’s stories. He especially insisted that I listen to those people in my life who will not be around to tell their stories in the coming years.

This is when I realized that the two people upstairs were more than just my babysitters while growing up, were more than just my grandparents; this is when you, Grandma and Grandpa, became actual people to me. This is when I realized that you both had a life before me, before my Dad, before each other. This is when I began to learn your stories.

These realizations quickly developed into a grateful appreciation for the many blessing I have – especially my family. You two have worked hard and have taken much time to ensure that we as a family take care of each other, help each other out, and be involved in each others lives.
As the stories were shared, my appreciation grew into a new respect and, eventually, into a new, deeper love for you. Your dedication to your family inspired me, and with your love and time, you established a legacy – a legacy, which I am very honored to be apart of.

You have filled my stomach with satisfaction, my mind with many wonderful memories, and my heart with great happiness. I cannot emphasize how honored I am to be apart of your family. As the youngest grandchild, I have a unique relationship bridging the generation before me and after me. I see the ones before me and play with the young ones after me. And each one of them, each one of us, will always be loved, will never be forgotten, and will always be remembered because of the legacy you have established with years of love and dedication to the generations that will continue long after you are gone. With great honor and respect, my children will know who they are and where they came from; they will know Yutaka and Sadako Ikeda.

From across the globe, to the little island I call home, I send you my love! Thank you so much for EVERYTHING you have given me – your love, your time, your stories, your memories, and all the opportunities you have helped me pursue! Thank you for your dedication before you knew I would be here and after I arrived. I thank God for you everyday and ask for His blessings on your life. Even though I’m a world away from you, I am honored to be your physical grandchild and your spiritual sister in our Lord Jesus Christ who has showered us with many blessing!

With all my heart and sincerity, I LOVE YOU, GRANDMA AND GRANDPA!!!!!

Love,
Janean

1 comment:

Amanda Sue said...

Janean, you are one of the best people I know. I miss you, and think about you and pray for you often.

About Me

My photo
Hawaii, United States
trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.
O, dreadful is the check — intense the agonyWhen the ear begins to hear and the eye begins to see;When the pulse begins to throb, the brain to think again,The soul to feel the flesh and the flesh to feel the chain. - Emily Bronte, "The Prisoner