06 June 2008

of a bus, a boat, and a brouch.

My eyes closed, seabreeze flies freely through my hair, songs spill from my lips.
The engine roars; the smell of diesel, gone with the wind.
We cut through the swells.
I hold on tightly to the shoulders in front of me.
Open. The wind flings back my eye lids, flattens my cheeks, dries my lips.
I take a deep breath through my nose. I look.
Grandpa, preparing the next lure.
Jared, checking the lines in eager anticipation.
Chris, asleep in the sun.
Dad, Captain Dad, steering us toward dinner.
I smile and continue my song. The song echoes. The engine roars. The diesel smells. The wind blows. The boat rocks.

Open. No more salty seabreeze flying through my hair or swells to rock the boat. Just a roaring engine, smelly deisel, and an echoing ipod.



At one point, maybe twelve years ago, sitting in the back of the bus reflected social achievement: coolness being the epitome. Today, there was nothing cool about the back of the bus. For a few moments, I escaped from the nauseous engine gases and found myself sitting on the captain's chair of our deep sea fishing boat, fifteen years ago, singing my song, smiling at my Dad as he looked over his shoulder at me, smiling at me as if I had the most beautiful voice ever. I sang louder.



Just moments before, as the bus engine started, I realized our trip from Suez Canal back to Cairo was going to be uncomfortable, to say the least. Now, I love life. I love to share life with people (which is why I'm sitting here.....telling you about my ever exciting journey from Suez Canal). I share my thoughts, my feelings, my ideas; to know others and to be known, I believe, is a priceless gift that we've been given......So, in these first few moments on our bus ride home, I felt the need to share my frustrations...



Luckily for Lianne, my typical grouchiness in regards to minute frustrations such as sitting at the back of the bus is expressed in bratty-playfullness. We'll call this mood: brouch (brilliant, I know! You put brat and grouch together and there you have it!). Brouchiness is usually the result of frustrating situations that are rather silly and don't deserve full-blown grouchiness (argueably never deserved...anyway). Br0uchiness usually reflects my unique ability to cope with such situations. In this case, I needed to escape the nasueating smells and ear-gnawing engine noises.



Brouchiness inspired:



Needless to say, the sweater over the nose helped me escape the smells; although, not even sitting at the very back of the bus helped me escape odd looks from the "front-of-the-bus" passengers.

All that to say: Dad, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE fix the boat!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Hawaii, United States
trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.
O, dreadful is the check — intense the agonyWhen the ear begins to hear and the eye begins to see;When the pulse begins to throb, the brain to think again,The soul to feel the flesh and the flesh to feel the chain. - Emily Bronte, "The Prisoner