26 June 2008

belgium

known for its beer and chocolate...two things which we haven't tasted in our first few hours here.

however, our appetites are quite full from an afternoon of speed-walking through a nearby college town with one peurto rican, nine mexicans, three egyptians, one canadian (lianne), and two americans (me and a lady who lives in mexico). none of us speak dutch, or german, or french, or anything else (besides english) that could be helpful.

aside from the entertaining diversity (entertaining is an understatement....the fun and frustrations that come with such diversity only make a "stroll" through a foreign city much more enjoyable and exciting) of our group, i must admit that the two white-haired, 60 something year old, twin ladies walking around (matching clothes, shoes, and bags) were a highlight...seriously.

then there was the lovely moment i slipped into my jacket. it's not cold, but compared to cairo, it's a bit chilly. lianne and i went for a little stroll through a local park, sat and listened to the trees....a sound that i often miss living in the craziness of cairo.

i wish i had taken more time to learn spanish. it never seemed exciting enough for me in high school. however, now that my excitment involves knowing people and doing things with people, language acquisition is a bit higher if i continue with these international adventures. my limited recollections from afternoons with aunty martina and cote helped me find some common ground.........but honestly, it was ultimately mer. shwartsenager who came to my rescue.....believe it, i totally said it. and, i'll say it again:

asta la vista, baby!

1 comment:

My name is April. said...

Been thinking lots about you. Keep checking back for updates. You're such an adventurous inspiration to me! I hope we can skype again soon. I'm finally feeling settled here! Love you.

About Me

My photo
Hawaii, United States
trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.
O, dreadful is the check — intense the agonyWhen the ear begins to hear and the eye begins to see;When the pulse begins to throb, the brain to think again,The soul to feel the flesh and the flesh to feel the chain. - Emily Bronte, "The Prisoner