26 February 2008

Secret Love Notes

The lyrics to a song I've never heard race through my mind. But they don't stop there.
I feel the words run through my body, their meaning saturating my life. Here I sit, cup in hand, behind the snack shop at my school. Students finally in class, the campus quiets. Winter brings chilled halls and freezing offices making usual chit-chat with the teachers a bit difficult in the cold, early mornings.
Out here, the sunshine brings an escape from the cold, generously giving my body a break.
Here I sit, cup in hand, behind the snack shop. The lyrics to a song I've never heard race through my mind.
More than words, they come to life -- my life.
As the sunshine warms my face, my world -- the one I live in, the one I left at home, the one I've created in my dreams, all of it -- comes to life. I am unimaginably blessed. With my eyes closed, I hear the world around me: I hear birds, wind, friends, voices of family in Hawaii, friends in Seattle, the beach, the lake, I hear laughter. I hear.
To know no other sunshine, than the sunshine
of your face...
Content to let the world go by,
To know no gain or loss.
My sinful self my only shame
My glory all the Cross.
-Beneath the Cross of Christ
I don't live on the moon and let the world pass by in front of me. I live here and now. I live.
As I look around (in front of me is a barren field, behind me is an unpaved road, to my right is an unfinished building, and to my left is a dusty courtyard) I see life. In this barren field? Unpaved road? Where?
There are times when His words seem to find their grave in the Bible. As if it doesn't exist or take life until we read, meditate, and reflect. His Word existed before the Book was compiled and will continue to exist long after the pages wither. This in no way is meant to depreciate the Bible. We live in the world created by His Word -- His words surround us. His words dwell within us -- written on our hearts.
Open your eyes.
I love these moments when I realize that He's always here, always revealing His love like secrets...secret love notes waiting to be found.
Except, NOT so secretive at all!
Are we looking?
Let's open our eyes to more fully see what He's already revealed.

The lyrics to a song I still haven't heard become more than words, they become life -- my life.
Not always an easy place to be......but I can't tell you anywhere else I'd rather find myself:
"beneath the Cross of Christ."

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Hawaii, United States
trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.
O, dreadful is the check — intense the agonyWhen the ear begins to hear and the eye begins to see;When the pulse begins to throb, the brain to think again,The soul to feel the flesh and the flesh to feel the chain. - Emily Bronte, "The Prisoner